Reactions.

So, my last post was quite angry. I did something I very much think is wrong.

As I've said many times, I live by a principal that the most important thing to be is altruistic. Yesterday's post was not. And I regret that in many respects.

Anger is sometimes necessary. Feminists, civil rights activists, politicians et al. are often driven by justifiable anger. There's a lot of inequality in the world: rich and poor, men and women, races, sexualities etc. But I think it's always important to be altruistic, loving, empathetic. Prejudice is the child of ignorance; it's a wayward child that can be set on the right path. But whilst one can be driven by anger, I have never believed in being militant. I don't believe that will no change ignorance and prejudice. I believe that love will.

In many ways, I'm privileged. And this illness has added to that privilege. I now have great empathy for those who suffer with mental illness. Before I was diagnosed, I too had very ignorant opinions about this illness.

I'm intellectually privileged. I've had a good education and I go to one of the world's best universities. It would be socially and morally irresponsible of me to not use the knowledge I have acquired in a loving way. It would be even more irresponsible of me if I did not try to share it. I don't think that prejudice or hateful people are adversaries, I believe that they are unconverted friends. And that's the way I want to operate.

I am sorry for the reactionary nature of my comments yesterday.

I'm not an authority on mental illness, and though I feel I have a good understanding of it I am in no way qualified to make assertions and judgements with any certainty. I am instead simply a person who suffers with an illness, writing about their experiences. I'm doing this because I feel I have too – a lot of what I write about I genuinely believe to be important. But I am guilty sometimes of not appreciating my own insignificance. I know that I am just one person, one voice, and that there are many out there who have had far worse experiences than me.

I'm sorry if I ever sound like I don't know these things. What I have created here and with 'Openly Depressed' are intended simply as a tools that I hope can be used to stimulate actions and discussions to improve understanding of mental illnesses. But I don't want to preach, and I'm sorry if I ever appear to. The idea is that this blog is an accessible and all-embracing space. I don't believe in hierarchies: I'm no better than anyone else on this planet, and I don't deserve the vast majority of the situation I am in.

If you don't understand mental illnesses, I don't want to talk at you or down to you. That's not something I believe anyone has a right to do.

Comments

  1. You really are a pompous arse

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok, you're welcome. I guess most people are far too polite to tell you in "real life", so you might just carry on being a self obsessed, boring, angsty, pompous ballbag if you don't have me to warn you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, probably nobody has said that, people often don't want to identify themselves as being gratuitously nasty to those who are ill and in pain. Obviously by signing in as Anonymous you've managed to sidestep having to identify yourself and so can carry on this fight against folks expressing themselves on their own blogs without the fear of any social consequences, you brave brave soldier.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

End of a Degree. (*Trigger Warning)

My Next Project After Warwick.